1. a funeral song or tune, or one expressing mourning in commemoration of the dead; a funeral hymn or lament.
2. any composition resembling such a song or tune in character, as a poem of lament for the dead or solemn, mournful music.
3. a mournful or elegiac poem or other literary work.
4. a mournful sound resembling a dirge.
5. Ecclesiastical: the office of the dead, or the funeral service as sung.
Etymology: Middle English dir(i)ge, from the beginning of an antiphon in the Latin requiem (Dirige, Domine, deus meus, in conspectu tuo viam meam).